M111 Kohlenstoff im Ölfilter - M111 Carbon in oil filter

• Last weekend, I did a service for the E220, changing engine oil and filters, spark plugs and brake pads ... After service, I cut open the filter to inspect it for metal chips, and I found 2 parts, one of which they look like like an aluminum wire about 1 cm in length, but are hard and stiff so it's not aluminum, the other metal shavings were much smaller ...

In addition, I've also found many carbon diposites or carbon deposits in the oil filter, in almost all diameters , In my opinion, this amount of carbon diposite is not normal ... Here are some shots I made for the oil filter.

Some information about my W124:
    It is an E220, original engine with 300,000 km, engine was serviced every 10,000 km, had used the Motul 8100 10W40 oil, equivalent to the MB approval 229.3
    . In addition, I have the feeling that the engine is operated with a rich fuel mixture.

What would cause this excessive amount of carbon deposits or accumulations in the oil filter? Can I still clean the inside of the engine without removing the engine head or sump?

Here are the photos: https://drive.google.com/open?…ltbky2uxHL9zUh7VpHeCNNebE
    ------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
    sorry for the bad language, I do not speak english ... here is the text in english

Last weekend i did a service for the E220, changed the engine oil and filter, spark plugs and brake pads ... After the service i have 2 parts, one of them looks like an aluminum wire about 1 cm length but it is hard and stiff so it's not robably aluminum, the other metal shavings that much smaller ...

In addition i have therefore found lots of carbon diposits or carbon buildup inside the oil filter, almost in all its diameter. In my opinion, this amount of carbon diposits is not normal ... Here's a couple of shots I took for the oil filter.

Little bit of information about my W124:
    It's been at E220, original engine with 300,000km, engine has been serviced every 10,000km, it has been used with the engine 8100 10W40 oil, it does meet MB approval 229.1, In addition, I feel the engine does not run on a rich fuel mixture.

What does this extra amount of carbon diposite or buildup in the oil filter ... Is there anyway?

here's the photos: https://drive.google.com/open?…ltbky2uxHL9zUh7VpHeCNNebE

• Hello,

regarding the oil, i did not find a Motul 8100 series with the 10w40 on their website. However, i would recommend a full synthetic oil. The carbon build up in your engine, after just 10.000 km is very unusual. How long did you use the oil? You know that MB recommends to change the engine oil once a year. I know that carbon can build up, if the oil is old or as well, if it is a mineral oil, mainly from a poor quality. As well you should make sure, that your engine is always reaching the normal engine temperature. Low engine operating temperature can cause carbon built up as well.
    Regarding the metall piece...it looks like a small piece of wire or so...its not a part from any bearing, piston, valve or etc. Anyway, be glad that so far, it did not caused any damage. At the end of the day, that what is the oil filter for, to seperate those things from circulating through your engine.

cheers

Frank